Voluntary Right to Buy
What is Voluntary Right to Buy?
In Autumn 2017, the Government announced a Voluntary Right to Buy regional pilot for housing association tenants in the Midlands.
Since then, Housing Associations and the National Housing Federation have voluntarily worked with the Government to agree how this offer will work in practice.
The pilot will provide an opportunity for a limited number of tenants in the Midlands to buy their homes at a Right to Buy discount. The pilot scheme is time-limited and the Government has made a limited amount of funds available.
Important to remember
- The registration period for the Government ballot that will allocate places on the pilot scheme is NOW CLOSED. It was launched by the Government on 16th August 2018 and remained open for four weeks, until 16th September.
- The Government is now running the ballot that will decide who receives a Unique Reference Number (URN). Only tenants allocated a URN will be able to proceed and complete an application for this scheme.
Please note that receiving a URN is no guarantee that you will be able to buy your property.
Tenants that have been allocated a URN will be required to complete an online pre-application form, which will be available on our website soon.
Once a URN is received it remains valid for four weeks. The pre-application form must be completed within this period.
- Tenants that chose to take part in the pilot were advised to check that they met the following eligibility criteria.
Please note that the Government manage and implement the ballot, and Longhurst Group has no control over which tenants are successful in obtaining a URN.
If you have any queries about the ballot or URN allocation, please visit the Government's Voluntary Right to Buy website for the Midlands pilot: midlands.righttobuy.gov.uk or call The Right to Buy Agents, a free, impartial source of information funded by the Government, on 0300 123 0913.
If you have any further questions or require any additional information on how to register for the ballot you can contact the dedicated Right to Buy Agents on 0300 123 0913. This is a free, impartial service funded by the Government.
Find out more
- Read our Voluntary Right to Buy FAQs
- Find out more in our Guidance Notes on Eligibility
- Read Longhurst Group's Voluntary Right to Buy and Portability Policy
Government information on Voluntary Right to Buy
- For more information please visit the Government's Voluntary Right to Buy website for the Midlands pilot: midlands.righttobuy.gov.uk
- You can also call The Right to Buy Agents, a free, impartial source of information funded by the Government, on 0300 123 0913 or contact them via: righttobuy.gov.uk/agent-service